Travelers from around the world love vacationing in Mexico, and the wide variety of things to do in Loreto, Baja California Sur make it the ideal destination for everything from romantic getaways to family vacations.
1. Aquarium of the World: Home to a wide variety of tropical fish, sea lions, turtles, and dolphins, the Sea of Cortez was nicknamed “The Aquarium of the World” by Jacques Cousteau.
2. Blue Whales: The biggest animals in the sea are the whales that migrate here in the winter. Head out on a boat to watch blue whales approach the surface of the water.
3. Chocolate Clams: Despite their name, these savory clams aren’t made of chocolate. Named for their deep brown color, they’re a delicacy that can only be found along Mexico’s west coast.
4. Danzante Island: Off the coast of Loreto, a series of islands rise ruggedly out of the sea, and when you sail to the islands, you can relax on secluded beaches, hike the hills, or snorkel in the water.
5. Eat Authentic Mexican Cuisine: While you can find international cuisine in Loreto, it’s the best place to try authentic Mexican dishes.
6. Fishing: When you head out deep sea fishing in Loreto, you’ll catch sailfin and marlin as you sail across the smooth waters towards the horizon.
7. Gallop Along the Beach: Horseback riding is a beloved tradition in Mexico, and there’s something classically romantic about riding along on the beach.
8. Hiking: The Sierra de la Giganta Mountains are filled with cacti, wildlife, and waterfalls, and with a guided hike, you’ll learn about this unique ecosystem.
9. Icy Cocktails: Mexico is famous for its margaritas, and during your vacation, you can also sip palomas and micheladas while you bury your toes in the sand.
10. Jump in the Waves: Playing on the beach and jumping in the waves are some of the best things to do in Loreto, Baja California Sur, and the calm shoreline is a safe spot for swimming.
11. Kayaking: On the smooth waters of the Sea of Cortez, you can get in a good workout while kayaking or simply relax as you paddle along.
12. Loreto National Marine Park: As Loreto developed as an international destination, the community wanted to ensure that the natural environment would be protected. The Loreto National Marine Park encompasses and protects 790 square miles of the Sea of Cortez and the Islands of Loreto.
13. Mission of Our Lady of Loreto: Loreto was the first permanent Spanish settlement in the Californias, and in downtown, you can step back in time when you visit the local mission.
14. Nourish Your Body: Indulge in tropical fruits, local produce, and fresh seafood during your vacation, and you’ll leave feeling strong and refreshed.
15. Open a Bottle of Fine Mexican Wine: Do your own wine tasting at Danzante Fine Dining where you’ll find the best bottles from Baja California. With the help of the sommelier, you’ll learn about this growing region and find the perfect bottle to pair with your meal.
16. Paddleboarding: Practice your balance with stand-up paddleboarding while you take in scenic views of the mountains and ocean.
17. Quiet Your Mind: Many travelers seek out Loreto to escape the chaos of life. Practice mindfulness on your own wellness retreat by meditating, journaling, or strolling along the shore.
18. Run on the Malecon: As the sun rises over the Sea of Cortez, going for a morning run on the Malecon boardwalk is one of the most popular things to do in Loreto Baja California Sur.
19. Sabila Spa: Pamper yourself with facials and massages at Sabila Spa. These treatments use natural ingredients and modern techniques to leave you feeling completely refreshed.
20. TPC Danzante Bay: Designed by the legendary Rees Jones, this course attracts golfers from around the world. With an on-site pro shop and putting green, it’s the best destination for a golf vacation in Mexico.
21. UNESCO World Heritage Sites: To protect the rich environment, the islands, sea, and cave paintings around Loreto have been named UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
22. Villa del Palmar at the Islands of Loreto: Villa del Palmar at the Islands of Loreto will be your perfect oasis to retreat to after exploring the area. The gourmet restaurants, world-class spa, and pristine facilities will give you the vacation of a lifetime.
23. Walk Along the Shore: Start each day with some movement, and the soft surface of the sand is perfect for a morning stroll.
24. X off Each of These Activities: To see all that Loreto has to offer, try to check off as many of these activities as you can on your trip.
25. Yoga on the Beach: While yoga is a great exercise for building muscle strength and flexibility, you’ll also find it mentally relaxing, especially while practicing on the beach.
26. Zip Through the Mountains on an ATV: If you have a need for speed, head out on an ATV expedition over rugged mountain trails.